Thoughts and ramblings of just another girl

26 July, 2006

It's interesting sometimes how things develop

In this case, it's interesting to me that the more I start to wander in the SCA, mainly in costuming from other eras, the more I really start to appreciate the 14th century again. Don't get me wrong, I'm in the process of making some really cool stuff right now, and likely won't ever stop the making of it, or the desire to wander through time with my wardrobe. But more and more recently I've found myself really drawn back to the 13 and early 1400's. There's still so much diversity in that period, so much I haven't figured out, so much to look into and try to discover for myself, so much other people have gone through, and knowledge to assimilate with what I already know.

I didn't really realise until now that it took me a while to get back into the swing of things when I started in the SCA here. I'd just had almost 5 years off back home, so I was trying to get used to being back, plus being in a different kingdom, where things just aren't the same (and not good or bad necessarily, but just different). Having comments like "Oh, so you do 14th century, you mean for camping?" directed at me at my first event here didn't help. I'm a naturally insecure person, so I found myself slightly off kilter, and completely without focus.

A few things helped with that. Some lovely friends, getting protegeed to Blayney was a big one, and realising that while I may suck at some things, i'm not actually bad at the whole costuming thing, I'm just out of practise.

So here I am, coming full circle. Suddenly a renewed desire to DO STUFF (cause really, like I don't do enough stuff already), but namely, to do the thing that I've always loved and enjoyed, to get back into the researching and making of things of that funny little time period I really do adore.

4 Comments:

  • At 27 July, 2006 13:30, Blogger Cunning Plans Dept. said…

    Happy to help, because the inspiration works both ways.

     
  • At 28 July, 2006 11:32, Blogger deense said…

    Hey, there are many reasons why i'm very glad i'm your protegee, as well as friend :)

     
  • At 28 July, 2006 20:04, Blogger Miss D said…

    Hose! We must make you hose! And hats! and a good coat for Festival! And what's this I hear about you having trip sagas, not fair! Not when our lovely Deense has suffered so for her travel!

     
  • At 28 July, 2006 21:06, Blogger deense said…

    I know! I've never made hose! I am a bad bad person!

    You know, the more I hang out with you, the longer my project list gets. That's actually quite okay with me, I like doing stuff.

    Well, we've done up a budget, and it's going to be tight, but we will be able to do it. Luckily J's boss' boss is back next week, and he is going to appeal to him as well, it was he who told him he could have paid leave. Let's hope that it all works out.

    *crosses things and holds breath*

    Okay, maybe not the breath holding. That could get messy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home